PREGNANT WOMAN DIES AT CHELUVAMBA HOSPITAL AFTER DRINKING FORMALIN

In a heart-rending incident, an eight-month pregnant woman died after consuming formalin, a preservative and sterilising agent, mistaking it for water, in Cheluvamba Hospital here on Sunday.

Rajeshwari (19), wife of one Bangarashetty of Kestur in Chamarajanagar district, is the unfortunate woman.

Rajeshwari was admitted to Cheluvamba Hospital on Sunday afternoon after she complained of labour pain. She was reportedly taken to the Labour Ward at about 8.45 pm for preliminary tests. Feeling thirsty, she took a nearby bottle containing formalin mistaking it be water and drank it. Writhing in pain for a while, Rajeshwari died a while later, despite the doctors' best efforts to save her life, it is learnt.